Re-thinking TV

We are often imitated, but never duplicated. If you are looking to have fun and relax this is the place for you. Cuttlefish from all walks of life retreat here for tales and buttplugs. Gator or not you are welcome here if you want to have fun, relax and earn MASSIVE REP STARS!!1! Step right on in, folks, and savor the circlejerk.
DocZaius

Re-thinking TV

Post by DocZaius »

So seein' as how I need to cut expenses (having two mortgages sucks complete ass), I decided to re-think my TV strategy. Cable packages cost an arm and a leg, and I don't really watch that much TV. Over the course of a year, I pretty much watch about 5 shows regularly: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Fringe and The Walking Dead.

Wow, I really like AMC.

Anyway, it occurs to me that I can save a lot of money by cutting cable out altogether, and legally downloading all the shows I want to watch from Amazon or iTunes. I can get one episode of TV for $1.99 from either service - that's an entire season for less than what I would end up paying per month for a decent cable package. Movies can likewise be rented from Amazon and/or iTunes for a nominal fee.

Comcast/Xfinity has a special right now where I can get their basic internet broadband service for $29.99 per month. Using Skype, my cell phone and/or Google Voice, I don't think I even need a landline phone anymore.

But what about football season? Simple - big games are televised on the networks, in HD, over the air. All I need is an antenna. In fact, the OTA broadcasts are often of higher quality than cable. Smaller games are often shown over the internet on ESPN3. At worst, I will end up listening to the Gators on the radio - here in Florida, they're all broadcast on the radio.

So the way I figure it, I'll be spending about $610 per year for everything I want from the cable company. Under the old cable/internet/phone package that I used to subscribe to, I'd be spending over $1800 per year.

Anyone see any obvious flaws with my plan?
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Re-thinking TV

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

DirecTV is cheaper than Cable...may want to explore that option.

DocZaius

Re-thinking TV

Post by DocZaius »

Yeah, but I'd still be paying a bunch of money for something I really don't watch that much.
a1bion

Re-thinking TV

Post by a1bion »

A woman I used to work with got rid of cable without much problem. Her and her boyfriend watch most of their shows on Hulu and other sites. And she found some app that lets them watch NFL games, so they hook her iPhone up to the computer and watch on the computer. Think she uses Verizon.
radbag

Re-thinking TV

Post by radbag »

it sounds well thought out and probably the right idea for most of us...having said that, my own apprehensions would likely have to do with inconveniences and what not...sounds like a decent plan
G8Rpmc

Re-thinking TV

Post by G8Rpmc »

^^^and your inconveniences would include an unhappy family rad! I think it might be harder to give up cable/satellite tv having a larger family with older kids.

Kyle has satellite and an antenna, and he might be able to give good advice. I think he gets most, if not all, local tv shows using the free antenna. He also does not have a land line phone. Come to think of it, my other sons don't have that either.

I have some friends and family members who have given up land line phones and they don't seem to miss it that at all. Marty and I have discussed it, but I'm just too old school and don't want to give up our land line phone.

Football season + other sports---have fun at some of the sports bars, even "family atmosphere" sports bars like Dockside, etc if you want to take your son. We've had fun doing that when games are on that we can't get on tv, such as some of the Denver games, etc.

I've wondered about some of the "bundle" packages that Sprint, AT+T and Cox offer. I think they are competitive when they know you are looking at other companies and are willing to give some special deals to keep or get your business.

Is DSL internet service much slower than cable? I've wondered about that also, as it seems much less expensive than what we are paying for the cable internet service.

Good luck with this doc and I hope you sell that other house soon!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I love living in Florida.
UFgirlfan07

Re-thinking TV

Post by UFgirlfan07 »

I'd LOVE to get rid of cable. Someone help me convince Joey!
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Re-thinking TV

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

Don't have a grandson w/ a dog collar, Katie.

Get rid of Cable. Get DirecTV

UFgirlfan07

Re-thinking TV

Post by UFgirlfan07 »

(I love those commercials.)

We actually did have DirecTV and loved them. The problem that made us switch to cable was the Internet service. The only service provider that would bundle with DirecTV was AT&T and their service was terrible. It kept going in and out at night, which was a big issue with both of us in online classes. The straw that broke the camel's back was when it cut out during a quiz Joey was taking (which resulted in him failing the quiz). Honestly, I'd love to get rid of TV all together. But Joey doesn't see this as an option with live sports.
THEBIGFISH55

Re-thinking TV

Post by THEBIGFISH55 »

Don't reennact scenes from platoon with Charlie sheen...
G8rMom7

Re-thinking TV

Post by G8rMom7 »

I've been thinking the same thing but I am definitely paying for the convenience with my cable service. I have two phone lines (one for our Business fax), internet and cable including 2 DVR boxes. I talked to Direct TV when I got sick of them sending sales messages to my EX-husband to my house (where he never lived). I started talking to the girl about Direct TV and it seemed reasonable but I'd have to get with some other company to get the internet and phone service...the name escapes me what it was. Anyway, so far we aren't in a position to worry about it, but I can see doing something about it if it gets tight. I do like the convenience of being able to call and have someone come out next day if anything happens...Brighthouse does provide good service, IMO.
Okay, let's try this!

g8orbill

Re-thinking TV

Post by g8orbill »

I have DirecTV for my TV and Brighthouse for my internet and fax line(I do not have a regular phone)

I have Brighthouse for all three in my restaurants-costs me less for 3 phone olines 2nd tier cable and high speed internet than just the 3 phone lines with internet from Verizon
And that's a first down!
TheTodd

Re-thinking TV

Post by TheTodd »

IMO, it really depends on your willingness to live on the fringe of the law. If you're cool with downloading torrents of those shows then you can live without cable and just download them. I dumped cable and installed an OVA HD antenna on the house. In our bedroom I have a Vizio Internet television that has Netflix and Hulu Plus built into it. I have AppleTV that I use to stream from my other computers (movies and stuff I have there) as well as I can use my PlayStaytion 3 to stream Netflix and Hulu too. Football season is where it could get rough. Lack of ESPN is an issue but there is always ESPN360. I told myself that I could always go to a sports bar if I couldn't get the game on at home. And like you said, you can go old school and just listen to the game on the radio like we always had to do in the 80's.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
UFgirlfan07

Re-thinking TV

Post by UFgirlfan07 »

Todd, you're amazing. I'm pretty sure it was your post that helped me convince Joey. We're getting rid of our cable today. Woo!
TheTodd

Re-thinking TV

Post by TheTodd »

Congrats!
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.