How Southwest Airlines stays profitable

Chat about investing, the financial markets and participate in the Back Alley Bulls and Bears game...
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... cess_.html

Thought this was an interesting article. Southwest turns a profit every year, despite every other major player in the industry having gone through labor problems, bankruptcies and other difficulties.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

I like Southwest airlines so much. It makes me hate flying with any other carrier.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I used to hate SWA because I'd routinely get screwed in the seating cattle-call. Then I realized I could be bumped up to the front of the line for a small fee, and it's made me happy ever since. I've got long legs, so I really need to sit in the exit row, preferably where there's no seat in front of me.

I'd like to fly JetBlue one of these days, or maybe Virgin. They're supposed to be pretty good.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

I'm with you Doc. Exit row seats are the only way to fly.

And I know they are able to recline, but if the seat behind you is occupied by anyone over 5' tall (or anyone really), please keep your seatback up! If I have to look at the top of your head in my lap, you better be giving me head! /endrant
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

Southwest is a great airline! We fly them almost exclusively. I have never had any problems with them - no lost luggage, no majorly delayed flights, no staying overnight in Atlanta, etc. From Austin, I can get a straight shot to Tampa, Orlando, or Ft. Lauderdale and be there in 2.5 hours. As long as other airlines continue charging for luggage, I will continue to fly Southwest.
If the devil had a name, it'd be Chuck Finley.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Southwest is nice. Low expectations but typically good service and they are on time a ton. Nothing flashy obviously. I've flown with them a bunch and really like them.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

I like SW too but I must admit we had a LONG delay coming back from Vegas which was not good. We were supposed to leave around 5 p.m. PST and ended up leaving about about 9:30 PST putting us in Orlando around 4 a.m. EST. And I don't sleep well on planes. But overall, I like their online booking and I actually used their Travel agency for my trip to Vegas and booked our room through them. They were better about the way they sell and being up front with pricing and not try to bait and switch you like so many others. I'm kinda picky about that.
Okay, let's try this!