A Gainesville Legend Passes Away

We are often imitated, but never duplicated. If you are looking to have fun and relax this is the place for you. Cuttlefish from all walks of life retreat here for tales and buttplugs. Gator or not you are welcome here if you want to have fun, relax and earn MASSIVE REP STARS!!1! Step right on in, folks, and savor the circlejerk.
a1bion

A Gainesville Legend Passes Away

Post by a1bion »

I started getting this news on Facebook yesterday. Charlie Scales, the owner of Hyde & Zeke's Records, passed away yesterday. I used to go buy records there in high school because they had a good selection of punk bands and that was one of the ways I got introduced into the local music scene. Kept at it on into college and beyond. Back then, Hyde & Zeke's was right on University Ave, across from campus. Such good memories of those times. Rest in peace, Charlie!

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2013 ... ?p=1&tc=pg
Best known as owner of Hyde & Zeke Records, Charles Scales was a pillar of Gainesville’s music community for three decades, playing guitar in his signature style with numerous bands.

Friends and family knew him as Charlie or Chaz, a man with an open heart who was easy to talk to and who showed those around him that he cared.

“I loved him like a brother,” says Bill Perry, a friend and coworker of more than 30 years.

Scales died Tuesday from what is believed to be a heart attack. He was 59.

Scales attended Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia and graduated in 1972.

He then moved to Gainesville, where Perry said Scales had family in the area.

Scales started working at Hyde & Zeke shortly after it opened in January 1977 under original owners Bob McPeek and Ric Kaestner.

“He was one of the primo guitar players,” McPeek said.

McPeek and Kaestner sold the store in 1986, but the store fared poorly under the next owner.

Scales bought Hyde & Zeke in 1990 and brought it back to life, McPeek said.