Rolling Stone to accuse Urban of covering for Hernandez

Fuckbeans.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1752 ... &hpt=hp_t2
• Hernandez was a heavy user of angel dust, and had become so paranoid over the last year that he carried a gun wherever he went.

• He surrounded himself with a cohort of gangsters, and cut himself off from his family and teammates.

• Hernandez had so infuriated his head coach, Bill Belichick, with missed practices and thug-life stunts, that he was one misstep from being cut.

• Both his parents, Dennis and Terri, had criminal records, as did much of his extended family.

• Terri allegedly cheated on Dennis before his death with a violent drug dealer named Jeffrey Cummings, then married Cummings after Dennis died and moved him into the house she shared with Aaron.

• In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I'm interested to see the details Rolling Stone has about the alleged cover-ups on the drug tests. I was in grad school and worked as a TA towards the end of the Spurrier era and taught a number of athletes.

One of my students ran track and she mentioned one day how she'd been hit with a drug test. I asked her how it worked out of curiosity and she said that it's completely random. They associate your name with a number and draw random numbers for testing. She was pulled before practice by a tester and said she had to go into a bathroom with no door on the stall. The tester gave her the cup and watched her while she provided the sample (awkward). I asked about the coaches and she said no coaches were allowed to be around or ever said anything to her about it.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/the ... the-huddle

Not much there pther than Urban denying Hernandez was suspended for pot:
“We didn’t hear that story till much, much later – the police didn’t file a report,” says a local reporter who was covering the team. As a sophomore, Hernandez was benched for the season opener, meaning he’d likely failed drug tests over the summer. But Meyer denied it, saying he “wasn’t ready to play,” again giving cover for bad behavior. “Meyer kept us at such a distance,” says the reporter, “or flat-out lied, that we couldn’t verify a pot suspension.”

I agree, a1. For a short time I swam with some of the girls on the Gator swim team and I witnessed one of them get pulled out of practice for a random urine test. As far as I could tell (obviously, I wasn't there with them during the test), no coaches went with her. We were in the pool, the NCAA lady came and pulled her out and she went off the bathroom with the NCAA lady. She came back a few minutes later.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Yeah, I think we were probably there about the same time. I also caught a football player who turned in a plagiarized paper, so I failed him as per university policy. I got a phone call about it from someone who coordinated the tutoring for athletes for the AD. I thought it might be pressure to not fail the kid. Nope. He just asked why I failed him, I told him, he said, "Okay, thank you for your help." And that was it. Kid transferred after that semester. Everything I saw there, UF ran a tight ship.

Also, according to the article, the angel dust usage by Hernandez didn't start until he was gone from UF and seems to be directly tied back to his neighborhood.