The hyper-intelligent, herpes-having mystery monkey of Tampa Bay

We are often imitated, but never duplicated. If you are looking to have fun and relax this is the place for you. Cuttlefish from all walks of life retreat here for tales and buttplugs. Gator or not you are welcome here if you want to have fun, relax and earn MASSIVE REP STARS!!1! Step right on in, folks, and savor the circlejerk.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

Dad used to take us on the Silver River up to the springs in his little john boat. We'd bring some bread and throw it to the monkeys. That was the neatest thing to do as a kid.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

We also used to stay at a motel every summer in Homosassa Springs for the annual Golden Era Gators reunion, and we could see their monkey island from the hotel ( I think. We may have had to take a boat. I was very young.)

[video=youtube;21OS2zC_xWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OS2zC_xWM[/video]
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

That story made me laugh with it's drama queeniness. "ZOMG, da story of the monkey is all about big government vs da little guy!!!"

The story locally has kind of been a source of amusement for people for years. It's kind of just a joke that every time trappers try to dart the Mystery Monkey, he escapes. It's a funny diversion. Earlier this year, the Tampa Bay Times did a story about the fact that the monkey has settled into a neighborhood in south St Pete (the good part of south St Pete, not the part where you gonna get shot). There are some families in the area that kind of watch his back. They told the reporter about it just to let folks know the monkey was still around and kicking it.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I wouldn't mind having a monkey around my neighborhood.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Oh, shit!

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/art ... erly-woman
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida -- The mystery monkey of Tampa Bay has been a celebrity for more than three years now. He has been spotted all over the Bay area, has his own Facebook page, been featured on Comedy Central's Colbert Report, and has been a popular resident in south St. Petersburg... until now.

The rhesus macaque has bitten someone in the area of Boyd Hill Nature Park, an elderly woman.

Jeff Seilbach is a neighbor of the woman who was attacked, and says it was just a matter of time. "You should see my neighbor's back. The bite marks and claw marks. It just shows you what this animal is capable of," says Seilbach.

10 News spoke with the victim, who wishes to remain anonymous.

"I was in shock. He's been here about a year and a half, that we've known... but they're still wild animals," she says. "Lately he's gotten aggressive with male teenagers, male people. And the people in the neighborhood stay at a distance, but they don't realize at any given moment, he could flip.

On Tuesday, the victim's daughter told 10 News, "The monkey is not afraid of people, so I don't go outside very often. I don't trust the monkey."

Neighbor Jeff agrees. Just a few months ago, wildlife officials urged the public not to feed the monkey, fearing he would become dependant on humans for food, becoming aggressive, and that's exactly what's happened.

"He gets up in my tree and starts shaking it because he wants to be fed. If you don't feed him, he cops an attitude," says Seilbach.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission issued this statement Tuesday night: "FWC's concern is for the woman who was bitten and the animal. In order to bring this to its best possible conclusion, we need the cooperation of everyone in staying away from the area so that we can do our job."

The monkey attack victim says she hopes the animal will not be killed, but instead captured and put in a sanctuary. Officials believe the monkey was cast out of a colony in Silver Springs, near Ocala.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Angry monkey is Angry!
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

I don't trust the monkey.
radbag

Post by radbag »

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

http://www.wtsp.com/news/reporter/artic ... ry-Monkey-
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida -- The Mystery Monkey's days may be numbered.

At about 40 pounds and less than 3 feet tall, the Mystery Monkey has stirred up a St. Petersburg community and gained national attention. He's become part of the neighborhood and some homeowners want him to stay, but is that what's best for the Mystery Monkey, who's not so much of a mystery anymore?

Saturday morning in the south St. Petersburg neighborhood the monkey frequents went on as usual, whether it was a day on the greens, a morning work out on the bike, or a walk with the dogs. But one resident preferred hiding in the woods.

"He's like the mask bandit you can't find," said golfer Bill Buttner.

Known as the "Mystery Monkey," the rhesus macaque has become more like a neighbor who drops by unexpected. "He's been on our roof couple of times, our lanai a couple of times, in the back yard. A year ago, he was on a window ledge peeking in," said Jerry Bishop.

"He's not threatening," said Buttner.

The monkey did not appear dangerous until he bit a homeowner on the shoulder, but was it an attack? Wildlife rescuer Vernon Yates said no. "I don't think it's fair to say it was an attack. The monkey got on her shoulder, she freaked, he freaked, they couldn't separate from each other," said Yates. "What it does prove is the monkey is becoming more socially accepting to people, which does create a bigger danger."

It's clear the monkey is being fed. Along the wooden fence where many golfers say they see him sitting, there are pieces of fresh half-eaten apples on the ground.

Traps with food have been set, but Yates said they don't work because people disturb them. The next step is a trap using a 1-year-old macaque as a lure. Yates is confident this will work "because he's socially starving for his own kind."

Yates believes people are the monkey's number one enemy right now. "For his own well-being, they need to not to make eye contact with him. They need to not feed him. They need to leave him alone," said Yates.

If you encounter the monkey, his behavior from showing teeth to lunging at you should not be thought of as playful, but a warning. "In his own language, it's him telling you to back off," said Yates.

If the monkey bites another person, Yates said the outcome will not be good. "At that point, he will become a public danger. No question he will be shot."

When the trap using the live monkey is set, Yates said it will be watched 24/7 to make sure no one tampers with it. Once the monkey is captured, he will be sent to one of two private wildlife rescue facilities.
They're gonna get him with the promise of red-hot monkey-love.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Missed the story, but he was caught on October 24.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/art ... Bay-caught
"In some ways I'll give him credit," Yates told CBS News correspondent Steve Hartman last week about the primate's days on the run. "He knows not to get up into power lines. He'll run to a road, he stops and looks both ways for traffic before he runs across it. This is one of the most intelligent monkeys that I think I have ever seen."
When I was in college, there was an urban legend about a pack of wild dogs that had learned to navigate the means streets of Louisville, Kentucky by waiting and watching the traffic lights. How color-blind dogs were supposed to tell the difference between a red light and a green light, no one ever explained to me.

Anyway, they named the monkey, "Cornelius" after Roddy McDowell's character in Planet of the Apes, and they're moving him to a private zoo:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/art ... Tampa-Bay-

You can join his fan club.

Apparently, he also has The Herp:

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

And he's still doing just fine. You all can sleep at night again.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/pasco-news/201 ... ar-596033/

Mystery Monkey 'adjusting quite well' at Dade City's Wild ThingsImageJIM REED/STAFF

Randy Stearns, president of Wild Things in Dade City, says Cornelius is expected to be joined by a female rhesus macaque in the next month.

ByRONNIE BLAIR| The Tampa TribunePublished: January 02, 2013
Updated: January 02, 2013 - 11:31 AM
DADE CITY --The Mystery Monkey of Tampa Bay, a rhesus macaque who now goes by the name Cornelius, is starting to make himself at home at Dade City's Wild Things, where he is a featured stop on the zoo's riding tour.

"He's adjusting quite well," said Randy Stearns, the zoo's president and head animal trainer.

The Mystery Monkey, something of a celebrity in the region, remains quite popular, Stearns said, as callers and visitors to the park often ask about him. The riding tour has become especially busy during the holiday season, he said.

Right now, the monkey lives alone in his enclosure, but in the next month he is expected to be joined by a companion. A female rhesus macaque past her breeding years will be brought in from another facility, Stearns said.

Cornelius moved in at Dade City's Wild Things on Dec. 3, about a month after his capture in St. Petersburg put an end to a four-year odyssey in which he eluded would-be captors as he made his way around Pasco, Hillsborough and Pinellas counties.

The monkey's origins were unknown, but speculation has been that he traveled from the Silver Springs area near Ocala, where a group of rhesus macaques has made its home for decades.

Cornelius may have been booted out of his troop during a battle over dominance and headed south in search of other macaques.

While on the run, the monkey became a media sensation.

He drew thousands of friends to a Facebook page devoted to him and was featured on Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report."

Stearns said Cornelius is becoming accustomed to the people who stop by to see him in his enclosure, a wooden house inside a nine-gauge chain-link cage.
He's also getting used to the "captive food" set out for him each day, and peanuts have become a favorite.

"He eats those first," Stearns said.

A companion for Cornelius isn't the only addition planned for Dade City's Wild Things in 2013.

The 22-acre zoo is working on new shows and hopes to finish a zip line over the tiger habitat, Stearns said.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »