Military coup d'etat in America?

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

This man thinks it's possible...in fact he goes so far to say that we're headed down that road currently in a silent, below the radar way:
We no longer have a civilian-led government. It is hard for a lifelong Republican and son of a retired Air Force colonel to say this, but the most unnerving legacy of the Bush administration is the encroachment of the Department of Defense into a striking number of aspects of civilian government. Our Constitution is at risk.

President-elect Barack Obama's selections of James L. Jones, a retired four-star Marine general, to be his national security adviser and, it appears, retired Navy Adm. Dennis C. Blair to be his director of national intelligence present the incoming administration with an important opportunity -- and a major risk. These appointments could pave the way for these respected military officers to reverse the current trend of Pentagon encroachment upon civilian government functions, or they could complete the silent military coup d'etat that has been steadily gaining ground below the radar screen of most Americans and the media.

While serving the State Department in several senior capacities over the past four years, I witnessed firsthand the quiet, de facto military takeover of much of the U.S. government. The first assault on civilian government occurred in faraway places -- Iraq and Afghanistan -- and was, in theory, justified by the exigencies of war.

{. . .}
Now the Pentagon has drawn up plans to deploy 20,000 U.S. soldiers inside our borders by 2011, ostensibly to help state and local officials respond to terrorist attacks or other catastrophes. But that mission could easily spill over from emergency counterterrorism work into border-patrol efforts, intelligence gathering and law enforcement operations -- which would run smack into the Posse Comitatus Act, the long-standing law restricting the military's role in domestic law enforcement. So the generals are not only dominating our government activities abroad, at our borders and in Washington, but they also seem to intend to spread out across the heartland of America.

If President-elect Obama wants to reverse this trend, he must take four steps -- and very quickly:

1. Direct -- or, better yet, order -- Gates, Jones, Blair and the other military leaders in his Cabinet to rid the Pentagon's lower ranks of Rumsfeld holdovers whose only mission is to increase the power of the Pentagon.

2. Turn Gates's speeches on the need to promote soft power into reality with a massive transfer of funds from the Pentagon to the State Department, the Justice Department and USAID.

3. Put senior, respected civilians -- not retired or active military personnel -- into key subsidiary positions in the intelligence community and the National Security Council.

4. Above all, he should let his appointees with military backgrounds know swiftly and firmly that, under the Constitution, he is their commander, and that he will not tolerate the well-rehearsed lip service that the military gave to civilian agencies and even President Bush over the past four years.

In short, he should retake the government before it devours him and us -- and return civilian-led government to the people of the United States.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/19/AR2008121902748.html?sub=AR

This guy served the Bush administration as ambassador for counter-narcotics in Afghanistan and deputy assistant secretary of state for international law enforcement affairs.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

Post by radbag »

in the immediate days after 9/11, there were huge military and police presence all over the city, airports, tunnels, and bridges...ya know what? it's a safe feeling.

not seeing a cop on the subway or a military man with his bomb sniffing dog in grand central terminal is not assuring.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

One man's security is another's utter oppression.
radbag

Post by radbag »

true

though i'm interested in knowing if the oppressed have ever ran from a building that was just bombed.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

No but I've been involved in more localized terror situations. You keep your eyes and ears open and pay the fuck attention to what's going on around you...and you stay ready to risk your life to save others if necessary. Not that complicated.

I do understand the typical Amerikan mindset of wanting the government to solve every one of our problems...I happen to strongly disagree with it, but that's just me. Our biggest problem is that Amerikans are pussies.
radbag

Post by radbag »

doesn't work like that wes. you're talking reactive action...i'm talking preventative.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

One man's security is another's utter oppression.

Hmm.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

doesn't work like that wes. you're talking reactive action...i'm talking preventative.
Our prevention is what causes our problems, rad. Who put Saddam in power? Who created, armed, and trained Al-Qaeda? That would be the United States government and the United States government.