From Ackerman

Fuckbeans.
IHateUGAlyDawgs

From Ackerman

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

Game week is here and though the game with Western Kentucky (Saturday, 12:30 p.m., Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Lincoln Financial TV) won't answer too many questions, it will give plenty of those youngsters on the Florida roster a chance to see some live action before a sellout crowd in The Swamp. Troy will be a step up in week two and then there is the annual shootout with Tennessee on September 15, but before we address those games, let's talk about some of the hot topics from August practice.

First the backup quarterback position has been earned by Cam Newton. I think Cam is very talented with a big arm, but he must get more accurate with his throws. I believe he is the right fit to be number two for 2007 and if he uses the experience the right way he could be the starter someday in the future for Florida. Johnny Brantley was clearly the most polished passer of any quarterback in camp. He is going to not only challenge for the job in the future he may be the future. Brantley is not officially “red-shirting” because you never know what can happen in the SEC. UF could get a QB injured mid-season and that would put Brantley on the field so he has to prepare as if he is going to play every single game. The red-shirt is ideal because it will allow some separation between all three quarterbacks.

I did say Brantley was the best passer and had a terrific camp, but before you throw the caution flag up on Tim Tebow let me say this --- it was practice. Tebow is a move the chains guy who is a natural born leader. He can run the option and is very adept at reading defenses. He just is not a pure passer like Brantley, but he will put up great numbers. Tebow is the leader team and will have every opportunity take this team back to Atlanta and beyond.

The offensive line was considered the strength of the team and that has not changed but camp revealed that the Gators are not as deep as we originally thought. The young stud recruits have been in and out with injuries and some still have not developed. The first five is as good as any in the country. This group with Drew Miller at center has a chance to be one of the best five lines in Gator history. They must stay healthy early and be ready to go against Tennessee. Florida has seven guys right now they really trust and no depth at center.

The defensive line was considered to be a “project” going into camp and Meyer is quoted as saying they think they have and eight-man rotation. Well, I saw these guys first hand this past Saturday at Letterman’s Day and they will play ten guys. Derrick Harvey and Jermaine Cunningham are going to be really good. The freshman all will play the first two games. The thing about the freshman is they look like juniors. UF would love to have John Brown who is a stud but Torrey Davis, Carlos Dunlap and Justin Trattou look the part and delivered. I think the key for Greg Mattison in the first two games is to make sure he gets all the guys on tape so he can tighten the rotation for Tennessee. You want to make sure you have the right combination in the game when situation dictates it versus the Volunteers. For example maybe one freshman at a time in the rotation or one inside and one outside. To me after seeing the front on Saturday, I am convinced they will be very good.

I don’t feel the same way about the secondary. I am very concerned about the corner spot opposite Anderson and the free safety spot. I think we all believed the coaches Chuck Heater and Doc Holliday would get these guys to top level but it looks like they need some game experience first. I think the two game pre-conference schedule will benefit these guys the most. I am not sold on Wondy Pierre-Louis at corner just yet and Joe Haden is still very young to be starting in the SEC. Markus Manson needs more work but does have a good build. At safety Kyle Jackson must play confident and at a high level to hold off Dorian Munroe. But by no fault of either Jackson or Munroe, UF will miss departed NFL first rounder Reggie Nelson. He could erase any mistakes by the defense and his football IQ will be missed.

Finally, Florida passed the “eye” test for me this past weekend. UF looks like a team loaded for a title run. Inexperience, injuries and bad breaks are the only things that could derail this championship run. You know UF will be well coached and well prepared each and every week. You know they have a true home field advantage. The key will be can the offensive line stay healthy and can UF continue to win the turnover margin. Tebow must protect the football and the defense although young must cause turnovers.

THIS AND THAT: With Emmanual Moody coming to Florida the Gators have the “legit” back to compliment the spread attack. The knock on Moody is that he gets injured a bunch and can’t stay out of the training room. He led USC in yards per carry and will have a chance to be Urban Meyer’s first ever 1,000 yard back ... Bubba Caldwell has had his best camp of his career and is poised for a huge season. Caldwell is out to prove he is a first round pick and really has become a solid route runner ... Cam Newton will be the kind of guy who can run some option and run on short yardage. He is a much more accurate throwing to his right than his left ... I expect Tebow to get the running backs involved more in the passing game ... Ryan Stamper would be the number two mike linebacker should something happen to Brandon Spikes. Lorenzo Edwards could grow into the spot by mid to late season but is still to green to get out on the field versus Tennessee ... Phil Trautwein has a chance to be an All-American at tackle. He has filled out and is as good at blocking in space as any tackle in recent memory at Florida ... This past Saturday was Letterman’s Day and it was great to see some old teammates and other former Gators. Meyer gave out some interesting facts that are certainly worth mentioning. First the Gators just had their highest GPA in football history. It was 2.77. Also the football team had and 80 percent graduation rate in the last year which was best in the SEC. Urban has done a lot of great things at Florida and the new coaches offices and salute to former players is flat out awesome. I saw a video on the addition that will be completed next summer and no one in the country has this. It will be a great recruiting tool and many former Gators are ready to spread to word about Gator football.

Toothy

From Ackerman

Post by Toothy »

He led USC in yards per carry and will have a chance to be Urban Meyer’s first ever 1,000 yard back.

This is my wish every year: the development of a feature up-the-gut back who can go for 100-150 yards week to week though 8 SEC games -- and not just in the fourth quarter, but while the game's still close. Man, did we have open receivers back when the SEC had Fred, Elijah, and Terry all coming at them out of the same backfield.

Toothy loves back.
apexgator

From Ackerman

Post by apexgator »

Good stuff. Can't wait to get the season started.