BHO pledges transparency yet has 'secret aides'??? WTF?!?!

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

have we ever had an atheist POTUS or VP?
openly? I don't think so.

bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

Growing pains, man...his press secretary Plamed one of his Double Secret Briefers. Hopefully, they'll season with time and not make such silly errors.
Star Kings Forever!
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

I just heard that this secret swearing in thing didn't include a Bible to swear on...not sure if one was needed but more "swearing in" has historically included one. Just wonderin'.
I do not believe that a Bible is necessary. It certainly isn't in the Constitution, and from what I have read online, many of the Founding Father's didn't use one.

As far as atheists in office, I think Jefferson was one. Don't quote me on that, but I have seen quotes from him that weren't exactly positive on the view of religion.
If the devil had a name, it'd be Chuck Finley.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

Jefferson was far from an atheist, IMO...seems like he had major problems with "the church" as an institution...late in his life he apparently became a Unitarian:
Had the doctrines of Jesus been preached always as pure as they came from his lips, the whole civilized world would now have been Christian. I rejoice that in this blessed country of free inquiry and belief, which has surrendered its creed and conscience to neither kings nor
priests, the genuine doctrine of one only God is reviving, and I trust that there is not a _young man_ now living in the United States
who will not die an Unitarian.
http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/lit/jeff17.htm
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Several of the Framers were skeptical of organized religion. Some considered themselves Deists - that is, God is akin to a divine clockmaker who created the universe and then let it run its course.

But I don't know of any who were rumored to be atheists.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Remember that back then (and still today) organized religion totally runs the country. I know it's one of the reasons my dad is not fond of the Catholic religion...because of how it ran Portugal when he lived there. So I believe that many of the founding fathers were not fans of organized religion...and quite frankly, that's how our whole country got started isn't it? A break from religious oppression? Just a thought.
Okay, let's try this!

Tipmoose

Post by Tipmoose »

I *really* don't see how organized religion runs *anything* in modern America. We are the epitome of "if it feels good, do it'.
Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em. People, dogs, whatever.
radbag

Post by radbag »

let's face it...the only reason the catholic religion continues to get attacked is because catholics are bred to 'believe and not impose on others'

you would NEVER see the government force the muslims to eat pork or some shit like that.

so the govt will soon be forcing catholic hospitals to perform abortions despite their beliefs (and it aint gonna happen so i guess those catholic hospitals'll get shut down causing MORE job loss...go figure) and the government will now require catholic doctors to perform them as well.

WHY? cause catholics don't impose their beliefs on anyone....maybe that's gotta change...for the sake of being able to hold your schools christmas holiday party in december and not having to have a 'winter festival party' in january or not having a halloween party for the grade schoolers because a jehovah witness girl can't participate.
Tipmoose

Post by Tipmoose »

Very very true, Rad. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em. People, dogs, whatever.
radbag

Post by radbag »

Very very true, Rad. Couldn't have said it better myself.
even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.