Zimmerman will not rely on "Stand Your Ground" defense

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

http://overlawyered.com/2012/08/zimmerm ... t-defense/
Specifically, as APnow reports, “attorney Mark O’Mara now confirms that ‘The facts don’t seem to support a “stand your ground” defense,’” and that he will instead be advancing a conventional self-defense theory on behalf of client George Zimmerman. To add confusion, the preliminary hearing provided for by Florida law is colloquially known as a “Stand Your Ground” hearing, even if SYG is not the grounds on which dismissal is sought.Particularly shameful were the organized campaigns in some quarters first to demonize Stand Your Ground as having somehow caused Martin’s death, and then to demonize the American Legislative Exchange Council for having promoted self-defense laws in other states. With little critical scrutiny in the media, the campaign even enjoyed a certain amount of success, though its factual flimsiness was apparent enough at the time.
Comments, specifically from Hater? Seems like a more traditional self-defense claim now but does that mean he can still take advantage of a pre-trial hearing to get the case thrown out before it gets to a jury?
OH Krill

Post by OH Krill »

Interesting. I thought that's what his case was about.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Man, what happened to trial in the morning and hanging at noon. The system is sooooooooooooo sloooooooooooow.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

Well, I can see how Stand Your Ground wouldn't apply, since he was lying on his back getting pummeled.