Johnny Football: Student-Athlete

Fuckbeans.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

What a fucking joke.
Johnny Football still finds time to be a college student too, even though the Texas A&M star doesn't have to be on campus very often for classes. His schedule this semester consists of four online classes in sports management, and he just got done with a series of tests and other work.

"Had my first round of tests last week, so I've been kind of pushing that off as much as possible doing my online stuff, and all three tests and three papers hit me in a week," Manziel said Monday night before accepting the Davey O'Brien Award that goes to the nation's top quarterback. "It was good to feel like a normal student again, just a busy one."

Manziel was initially enrolled in an English class on campus this spring with only 20 to 25 students before switching his schedule.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... isman-fame
IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

I have no problem with this whatsoever. The vast majority of my classes in the business college were offered online (as well as the option to attend the live lecture).

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Were you majoring in a field as rigorous as "Sports Management?"

Seriously, I'm glad they didn't have on-line courses when I was in school. The social interaction was a huge part of the college experience for me.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Yeah, what good is college if you can't still be drunk during your 8 a.m. chemistry lab?
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I see ol' Johnny taking one more semester of "classes."
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

kid for Missouri basketball team doing the same thing. all online classes this semester.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Looks like Johnny Football has also found a huge loophole in the NCAA rules keeping student-athletes from getting paid.
Johnny Manziel can do everything. Including, it would seem, find a way to legally get paid under NCAA rules while he's still playing college football. Last week Manziel's corporation, JMan2 Enterprises -- can you imagine the Christmas parties? -- filed a lawsuit against a man who was selling "Johnny Football" t-shirts. While Manziel can't profit off the direct sale of t-shirts featuring his name or likeness, the NCAA has ruled that he can trademark the phrase and protect his property interest from being infringed upon.

Only, that's not all he can do. The NCAA recently notified Texas A&M that, "a student-athlete can keep financial earnings as a result of a legal action."

You see the loophole you can drive a Rolls-Royce through yet?

Manziel can't directly profit off the sale of licensed products featuring his likeness, but he can pocket any proceeds that arise from a trademark lawsuit. Which is basically the same thing.

Raising this interesting question, what's to keep a bunch of Texas A&M boosters from intentionally infringing on Manziel's trademark, being sued for doing so, and then settling out of court for hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal payments to Manziel?

Nothing.

In other words, isn't this ruling a license for boosters to legally pay Manziel to play college football?

Yep.
http://outkickthecoverage.com/johnny-ma ... s-rule.php
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Who knew that Manziel was so wiley?
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

He lives like he plays. Slippery and hard to catch.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

Not sure what the best part of that picture is: Using the Heisman for a bong or the hook 'em horns in the background.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

LOL, even "Johnny Football" hates College Station.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 06191.html

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

I have a feeling his play may regress this year.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

[quote=a1bion]I have a feeling his play may regress this year.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I have a feeling he will be feeling the SEC love. Concussively.
slideman67

Post by slideman67 »

[quote=a1bion]I have a feeling his play may regress this year.[/QUOTE]

Good possibility - he is going to have a big ass target on him. Tim was not stupid in his comments, fortunately.

This will be his last year at A&M unless he has some big injury that knocks him out early.
If the devil had a name, it'd be Chuck Finley.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

He was supposed to be suspended last year but it was handled "in house."
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Kicked out of Mannings' QB camp for being hungover all the time:

http://fansided.com/2013/07/14/report-j ... -meetings/
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

He needs to party with Henderson.
a1bion

Post by a1bion »

[quote=DocZaius]Kicked out of Mannings' QB camp for being hungover all the time:

http://fansided.com/2013/07/14/report-j ... -meetings/[/QUOTE]

Apparently a bunch of people were posting on Twitter about seeing him out drinking at local bars Friday night. Interestingly, he told one person not to take his picture. That Johnny's so crafty.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Trolling?

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

He's turning full delta bravo.
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

a1bion

Post by a1bion »

ESPN's Outside the Lines has a piece about how put upon Johnny and his family feel because of his sudden fame. I couldn't read it, to be honest, because it was just too douche. The gist seemed to be, "Why can't Johnny enjoy all the upside of fame without being criticized?" but that's just me.

His family comes off as being big time enablers. Dad bought him a nice car in high school in exchange for a promise Johnny would stop drinking (Johnny kept drinking). In college, dad bought him a Mercedes to keep him from getting one from a booster.

One item I did read in the article: Manziel parked his car facing the wrong way in front of his house. A cop noticed it and knocked on the door to ask him to park it legally so that he wouldn't get a ticket. Manziel's interpretation of that event was that the cops were harassing him. Are you fucking kidding me?