Game of Thrones comments

We are often imitated, but never duplicated. If you are looking to have fun and relax this is the place for you. Cuttlefish from all walks of life retreat here for tales and buttplugs. Gator or not you are welcome here if you want to have fun, relax and earn MASSIVE REP STARS!!1! Step right on in, folks, and savor the circlejerk.
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

Yeah, this episode was about as shocking as it gets. A bunch of main characters killed off.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

[quote=DocZaius]Yeah, Robb's wife in the book was not the same character as in the show. In the books, he married to Jeyne Westerling, the daughter of a minor Stark bannerman. Robb married her to protect her honor after he slept with her. She wisely did not go to the Twins for the wedding, and also was not carrying Robb's baby (because her mom was giving her a contraceptive potion). She hasn't really played any further role in the books.

Edmure's story continues but I'm not going to spoil anything for you.

Arya's story gets really interesting.

Rickon doesn't receive too much attention in the books, probably on account of his young age, but still you gotta figure he's going to have something going on at some point, right?

Bran's story takes a supernatural twist - I'll say no more than that.

He'd make a plan and he'd follow through - that's what Brian Boitano'd do![/QUOTE]

LOL! I knew you'd get the Brian Boitano thing. :)

One other thing - what about Catelyn's uncle? He conveniently left to take a piss before it all went down.

And I am considering Bran pretty much dead - he is going with the Wonder Twins north of the wall to find the raven.

And what will Ygrette do when/if she finds Jon Snow?

Oh and Sam is a maroon for dropping that weapon that killed the wight. One thing I don't get - why do those wights come for Kraester's children?
Last edited by slideman67 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the devil had a name, it'd be Chuck Finley.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

[quote=a1bion]I don't even watch this show, but man, people are pissed off about this episode. Sounds like how I felt at the end of Empire Strikes Back when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

Dude, my wife and I are both pissed! Neither one of us slept well last night. I even had a dream last night about going to my next door neighbor's for a BBQ. All my friends were there and for some reason, these archers came up and slaughtered them all. Disturbing dream to say the least. I have been walking around stunned all day - I can't get this out of my head. These were some of the characters who we liked and were rooting for.

From what I understand, Twitter exploded about 9:49 PM EST last night.

I know what you mean about Empire - I was pissed at that too. And we had to wait 3 years for it. When it was re-released in 97, my wife and I were standing online with a lady who had never seen it. We saw her as we were leaving and she said that can't believe she has to wait 3 whole weeks to find out what happens to Han. I rolled my eyes.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

[quote=DocZaius]Yeah, this episode was about as shocking as it gets. A bunch of main characters killed off.[/QUOTE]

That's an understatement!

What was shocking was that it was unexpected. We thought everything was cool. I had a bad feeling since the episode was named after the song they sing about Tywin Lannister killing his enemies.
a1bion

Game of Thrones comments

Post by a1bion »

Apparently some people who read the books and knew what was coming decided to film their friends who didn't know. My favorite is the one woman whose dog is trying to get her to play with him as it all starts to go down. You can hear her boyfriend laughing at her as she gets more and more upset over what's happening on screen.

Also good are a couple of women who declare they don't want to watch the show anymore after that episode.

http://gawker.com/6-minutes-of-people-l ... -511100650
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

Hilarious!

BTW - I am not seeing Tywin putting up with Joffrey's BS any more either. Once he gets Cersei married off, he doesn't really need Joffrey around anymore.
ufgators68

Game of Thrones comments

Post by ufgators68 »

[quote=slideman67]That's an understatement!

What was shocking was that it was unexpected. We thought everything was cool. I had a bad feeling since the episode was named after the song they sing about Tywin Lannister killing his enemies.[/QUOTE]

And when the Rains of Castamere started playing, just before the slaughter, I told my wife "they're fucked".
Last edited by ufgators68 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

[quote=slideman67]Hilarious!

BTW - I am not seeing Tywin putting up with Joffrey's BS any more either. Once he gets Cersei married off, he doesn't really need Joffrey around anymore.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea what you're in for.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

[quote=ufgators68]And when the Rains of Castamere started playing, just before the slaughter, I told my wife "they're fucked".[/QUOTE]
I didn't recognize the song. Had it been played before?
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

ufgators68

Game of Thrones comments

Post by ufgators68 »

[quote=slideman67]I didn't recognize the song. Had it been played before?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's been played a few time this season. I have part of it as a ringtone.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

So what are they going to do to top this for a season finale? And where does this season stack up with the books now?
ufgators68

Game of Thrones comments

Post by ufgators68 »

No idea but if Joffrey dies this will be a great season.
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

Vague spoilers at the link below. I think it's safe for you non-book-readers to view, as it doesn't get into specifics but does offer you a glimpse into future GoT events.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/to-every ... -511170457
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

[h=2]Economics of Ice and Fire, Part 5: Breach of Trust in Dynastic Marriage Alliances[/h]http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/06/03/economics_of_ice_and_fire_part_five_breach_of_trust_in_dynastic_marriage.html
A sophisticated modern economy depends heavily on legally enforceable contracts, which is why fancy lawyers get paid a lot of money. But no enterprise consists entirely of fully specified enforceable legal obligations. Instead, tacit understandings, customary practice, and handshake arrangements fill out the framework of legalisms. That's one reason hostile takeover firms can make money by violating tacit understandings. Also in low-trust environments you tend to see a proliferation of small firms, which saps productivity but offers a way of coping with the low-trust situation. And here in the United States I worry that trust is being eroded by rising inequality and an elite failure.

For a society such as that of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, with its very limited formal capacity for legal administration, the availability of trust and custom is even more important. But as we saw on last night's episode, sometimes the gains from a breach of trust can be temptingly large.

When considering this matter, I think it's worth saying that Robb Stark's actions are arguably even worse than Walder Frey's. Whether he broke his original promise out of a misguided sense of honor (as in the books) or simply true love (as in the show), he's actively undermining the key social and political institution of Westeros. Arranged marriages run afoul of modern sensibilities and strike us as cynical. Turning such a marriage aside for honor or love strikes as us idealistic if perhaps misguided. But that would be a mistake. Marriage contracts are the only means that the major houses of Westeros have for forming alliances and ending conflicts. Walder extracted a high price from the Starks in exchange for his assistance in crossing the river, but the Starks were asking a favor of considerable value. The coin that Walder demanded—marriage arrangements for his children—was absolutely the standard sort of exchange for major political favor. A world in which one house promises another house a marriage alliance and then turns its back on the promise on a whim is a world in which houses are going to be perpetually at war.

Walder's decision to respond to betrayal in kind is extreme. But tit-for-tat is a viable strategy in the iterated prisoner's dilemma and arguably represents a reasonable approach. We, with direct access to Stark/Tully perspectives, know that the Edmure Tully fallback marriage is a perfectly good-faith arrangement but the view from the Twins is not so clear. You really wouldn't want to elevate a new King who right from Day 1 is betraying not only the Iron Throne but also his own bannermen. If you squint at it right, you can see what Walder was thinking. By contrast, the betrayal committed by Roose Bolton is pure ambition and cynicism with no justification whatsoever.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

[quote=DocZaius]Vague spoilers at the link below. I think it's safe for you non-book-readers to view, as it doesn't get into specifics but does offer you a glimpse into future GoT events.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/to-every ... -511170457[/QUOTE]

You had me at lesbian sex. :)

I hope one of those character who will die a bloody death is Joffrey. I would like to add Walder Frey, Roose Bolton, and Tywin Lannister to that list as well.

We just watched it again - still very shocking to see again, but not surprising now. Very disturbing. I was at a Barnes and Noble yesterday and tried to find it in the book. Didn't have time.

I wonder what they will do for a finale.

Where in book 3 are they?
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

[quote=DocZaius]Economics of Ice and Fire, Part 5: Breach of Trust in Dynastic Marriage Alliances

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/06/03/economics_of_ice_and_fire_part_five_breach_of_trust_in_dynastic_marriage.html[/QUOTE]

A little extreme response don't you think?
ufgators68

Game of Thrones comments

Post by ufgators68 »

[quote=slideman67]You had me at lesbian sex. :)

I hope one of those character who will die a bloody death is Joffrey. I would like to add Walder Frey, Roose Bolton, and Tywin Lannister to that list as well.

We just watched it again - still very shocking to see again, but not surprising now. Very disturbing. I was at a Barnes and Noble yesterday and tried to find it in the book. Didn't have time.

I wonder what they will do for a finale.

Where in book 3 are they?[/QUOTE]

I can't agree with that one. Ole Tywin is just doing what he has to do to win the war. He's not a sadistic fuck like Joffrey or a POS like Roose and Walder. He seems to be the kind that just wants peace but if you fuck with him... well, you asked for it.
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

[quote=slideman67]
Where in book 3 are they?[/QUOTE]

If I remember right, the Red Wedding is about 2/3 of the way through the book. There are at least two more dramatic events[SUP]*[/SUP] in the book, which I expect will be on the show next season (remember, they split the third book into two seasons).

[SUP]* [/SUP]By "dramatic event" I mean an "oh shit!" moment during the series. I don't want to go so far as to say what kind of dramatic events they are, but you will definitely say "oh shit!" when they happen.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

I hope one of thos Oh Shits is Joffrey's brutal death. The interesting thing about this is apparently the actor who play him has been described by more than one person as a sweet and kind kid.

Somehow I get the feeling too that Tywin won't exactly be jumping for joy when and if Lefty makes it back to Kings Landing. Father of the Year ol Tywin is - NOT!

BTW - I am going to ask a spoiler - do we see Syrio Forel ever again? I enjoyed him - he reminded me of Inigo Montoya.
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

Unfortunately, no, Syrio Forel is never seen again. I think it's safe to assume that he's dead but you never know.
slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

On the show, he sacrificed himself so Arya could get away. Does he do the same in the books? Is Arya left handed in the books? And what happened to Needle her sword?
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

Yes he did the same in the books. I don't remember if she is left-handed. Needle gets taken away at some point when she is captured in Book 2 but I don't remember if she gets it back.
DocZaius

Game of Thrones comments

Post by DocZaius »

For those of you who have had some trouble keeping track:

slideman67

Game of Thrones comments

Post by slideman67 »

In case you can't keep track....

BTW - do we ever learn what happened to Benjen Stark?