Butch Jones Checking Rulebook To See If A Team Has To Play A Quarterback

Fuckbeans.
The Unsportsmanlike Gentleman

Butch Jones Checking Rulebook To See If A Team Has To Play A Quarterback

Post by The Unsportsmanlike Gentleman »

Tennessee Volunteers quarterback Justin Worley has been less than impressive in his first three starts, leading head coach Butch Jones to declare the quarterback competition open. Worley, a junior, now has to fend off redshirt freshman Nathan Peterman, junior trumpet player Michael Edwards, and a shoe if he wants to keep his starting job. In the meantime, Jones has been looking through the NCAA rulebook to see if a team is required to play a quarterback.

“I’ve been going through line by line and I haven’t found anything yet. I’m assuming if it’s not in here, I can get away with not playing one,” said Jones.

When asked if the team’s gameplan would change without a quarterback for Saturday’s matchup against the Gators, Jones paused before saying he didn’t think so. “Honestly, it couldn’t be much worse than what happened at Oregon. I haven’t exactly fleshed out our plan of attack if that’s what it comes to. We might just punt on first down every time we get the ball. With the way Florida turns the ball over, we’ve got a better shot at scoring off of their mistakes than one of our quarterbacks playing well against their defense. I hope it doesn’t come to that. I hope one of these quarterbacks steps up, but I’ve got to consider all options and right now, playing without one is looking like the right call.”

As of late this afternoon, most reports out of Knoxville said shoe made some good throws in practice today and may be sneaking up the depth chart.

If Jones decides to go without a quarterback this Saturday, Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano is said to be eagerly waiting to see how the experiment goes and may try the same Sunday at New England.

Courtesy of The Unsportsmanlike Gentleman