Revealing Photo Threatens a Major Disney Franchise

We are often imitated, but never duplicated. If you are looking to have fun and relax this is the place for you. Cuttlefish from all walks of life retreat here for tales and buttplugs. Gator or not you are welcome here if you want to have fun, relax and earn MASSIVE REP STARS!!1! Step right on in, folks, and savor the circlejerk.
radbag

Post by radbag »

http://www.cnbc.com//id/24351309

Fifteen years old, topless and wrapped in what appears to be a satin bedsheet in the June issue of Vanity Fair. Did Miley Cyrus, with the help of a controversy-courting magazine, just deliver a blow to the Walt Disney Company’s billion-dollar “Hannah Montana” franchise?

Some parents reacted with outrage over the weekend when the television program “Entertainment Tonight” began showing commercials promoting a scoop: Ms. Cyrus, the star of the wholesome Disney Channel blockbuster “Hannah Montana,” had posed topless, albeit with her chest covered, for the Vanity Fair photographer, Annie Leibovitz.

Screen grabs of the photo quickly popped up online, sparking a blogosphere debate. “Bonfire anyone?” wrote Lin Burress on her marriage and parenting blog, Telling It Like It Is, referring to the mountain of Hannah Montana retail items — makeup, shoes, clothes — in the marketplace. “Parents should be extremely concerned,” Ms. Burress said in an interview. “Very young girls look up to Miley Cyrus as a role model.”

It is doubtful that one photograph — especially one that is tame in the context of an Internet awash in nude photographs of other starlets — could dent the Hannah Montana machine, said several Wall Street analysts.

Retail sales for the franchise are expected to total about $1 billion in 2008. A motion picture is in the works for 2009 and Ms. Cyrus signed a seven-figure book deal with the Disney Book Group last week.

But keeping a teenage entertainment franchise on track in an age when stars are monitored around the clock by bloggers and paparazzi is extremely difficult, even for a company with the experience of Disney. Executives are constantly battling to keep minor slipups from growing into full-blown controversies.

Last week, the public relations problem du jour was a green bra; photos online showing Ms. Cyrus pulling away her tank top to flash her underwear.

Ms. Cyrus and the “Hannah Montana” series have been championed as one of the few entertainment sanctuaries for children, complicating matters. Last month, Ms. Cyrus was chosen favorite television actress at Nickelodeon’s “Kids’ Choice Awards.”

More than 3 million viewers regularly watch “Hannah Montana,” most of them age 6 to 14.

Media outlets, in particular the rabid celebrity-focused tabloids, have been pushing to capture new angles of the ubiquitous Ms. Cyrus. After popping up everywhere from the Academy Awards to “American Idol” in recent months, the only photos of her that are assured of selling are controversial ones.

A Disney spokeswoman, Patti McTeague, faulted Vanity Fair for the photo. “Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines,” she said.

The article, written by Bruce Handy, seems to support that claim, quoting Ms. Cyrus as saying, “Annie took, like, a beautiful shot, and I thought it was really cool. That’s what she wanted me to do, and you can’t say no to Annie.” She also said of the photo, “I think it’s really artsy. It wasn’t in a skanky way.”

Ms. Cyrus had a different view in a prepared statement released on Sunday:

“I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be ‘artistic’ and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed. I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about.”

Beth Kseniak, a spokeswoman for both Vanity Fair magazine and Ms. Leibovitz said, “Miley’s parents and/or minders were on the set all day. Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley.”

At the very least, Ms. Cyrus and her advisers do not seem to be on the same page as Disney. The company learned of the photo only when “Entertainment Tonight” started showing its promos.

Last week, Gary Marsh, the president of entertainment for Disney Channel Worldwide, was quoted in Portfolio magazine saying, “For Miley Cyrus to be a ‘good girl’ is now a business decision for her. Parents have invested in her a godliness. If she violates that trust, she won’t get it back.”
Copyright © 2008 The New York Times
Last edited by DocZaius on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
texgator

Post by texgator »

Marketing genius. The whole 'will she or won't she?" thing is keeping this young girl with questionable talent on the front page week after week.

Mark it down...there will only be more of this to come.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

I heard that Disney was upset and they think that Vanity Fair deliberately manipulated her. I guess Disney doesn't want the competition in manipulating 15 year olds.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
TTBHG

Post by TTBHG »

I heard that Disney was upset and they think that Vanity Fair deliberately manipulated her. I guess Disney doesn't want the competition in manipulating 15 year olds.

You hit the nail on the head.
I am the law, bitches!
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

Yeah. I have little sympathy for mass marketing of overpriced products by branding them. A plastic play ball costs a buck, unless it's a Backyardigans play ball, in which case it's $3.99. Guess which one my daughter wants?

Burn, baby, burn.
radbag

Post by radbag »

CREE-MF-PY

[img]http://dlisted.com/files/mileyvf1.jpg[/img]
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

CREE-MF-PY

That disturbs me a hell of a lot more than the sheet photo.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

CREE-MF-PY

Yeah, that is just wrong. I'm sorry -- I'll admit that they are good-looking people, and have some talent, but by God, where's the common sense?
radbag

Post by radbag »

uggh.
mommygator

Post by mommygator »

yep, pic #2 is just plain weird.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Eh...no comment. I really don't know what to say. I do take offense to the comment about Disney exploiting 15 year olds...not sure what you mean there...like they are working in sweat shops and treated poorly just so the company can make money? Whatever...who is Disney's audience? What, should they get people over 21 to star for them? How would that work exactly?

But Miley and Billy Ray??? I dunno...they sure don't seem to be making wise decisions. IMO
Okay, let's try this!

IHateUGAlyDawgs

Post by IHateUGAlyDawgs »

nobody said Disney was exploiting 15 year olds...just manipulating them.

G8Rpmc

Post by G8Rpmc »

But Miley and Billy Ray??? I dunno...they sure don't seem to be making wise decisions. IMO

[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/iagree.gif[/img] and that picture is just weird and wrong. Yeck.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I love living in Florida.
wpfox16

Post by wpfox16 »

Man, is that ever creepy...
RickySlade

Post by RickySlade »

Everything about that is creepy. WTF were they thinking? She's fifteen...why would she be in a bed with nothing but a sheet covering her? And the picture with her father? I am as far away from a prude as you can get, but damn.
(Tipping a waitress) Here's fifty bucks; take this in case I get drunk and call you a bitch later.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

Hello, it's Annie Leibovitz.

My daughter can pose for Annie Leibovitz after she stops receiving tuition money from me, but not before.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

good call Toothy. Annie L is pretty well known for pushing the envelope with photo's in magazines. She's an awesome photographer though.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

Agreed. Does, uh, Disney keep track of where its little cash cow is wagging her tail? Because Annie Leibovitz is a pretty big appointment in the datebook if you ask me.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

You would think that Disney would do more, um contractually, to limit what she does so she doesn't damage the Disney brand.
texgator

Post by texgator »

Now shes hanging out with black dudes in their underwear!

[img]http://blogs.chron.com/tmi/MTV_TRL_CYRUS_YARBROUGH_NYR113.JPG[/img]
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

That guy doesn't have nipples.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Isn't that the black sumo wrestler dude?
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

That guy doesn't have nipples.

Well, there's an early leader in the Most Troubling Post of the Day competition.
RickySlade

Post by RickySlade »

You know what? I think you're right. That is the black sumo wrestler dude.
(Tipping a waitress) Here's fifty bucks; take this in case I get drunk and call you a bitch later.
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

You would think that Disney would do more, um contractually, to limit what she does so she doesn't damage the Disney brand.

That's what's nice about The Simpsons. Cartoons sleep when they're not working.