Speaking of government fines...

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

Can someone tell me the maximum penalty for not completing the bullshit American Communities Survey? I think I found it but I was hoping one of you lawyers could help me out. Title 13, Section 221 refers to the refusal or neglect to answer questions, and it states the person shall not be fined more than $100. I hope that's true, because I am not going to answer that super invasive "survey." I filled out my census proper and that's all they need to have.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

All I did on my census was list the number of people living in my house. I did give the ages of the kids, simply in case they needed that info for the schools. But they got nothing else from me.

I've been having issues with the IRS for late fees and stuff (that I'm not sure are legit or not...my accountant is helping me), but when I called the IRS, they said they were going to send me a list of these "items" that are outstanding. Instead of a list, I got 8 seperate letters with each item on their own letter...your tax dollars at work!

the gov't = model of efficiency...NOT!
Okay, let's try this!

G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

I did the regular census. This is the ACS, a different part of the census. It is extremely invasive.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Is it coming from the state? What is it? I've never heard of it.
Okay, let's try this!

G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

It comes from the Feds.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Can you fill in the answers? Like "none of your damn business"...you'd be filling out the survey, so they should be able to fine you if you did fill it out.
Okay, let's try this!

DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Making false statements gets you a $500 fine under that statute. I'd stick with the "not answering" for $100.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-acs-american-community-survey.htm
What is the ACS (American Community Survey)?

The American Community Survey (ACS) is a 21-page questionnaire generated by the US Department of Commerce under the auspices of the US Census Bureau. Funded by tax dollars, the lengthy questionnaire is mailed to 2% of the US population annually. The ACS has been criticized by many recipients due to its highly invasive questions, mandatory language regarding compliance threatening steep fines, and the dogged follow-up tactics often used by Census Bureau representatives to obtain completed forms.

The Census Bureau intends the ACS to replace the “long form” questionnaire of the 10-year Census. Information provided is entered into a central data base. This data bank holds extremely sensitive details about countless residents in every area of the United States.

ACS forms are addressed to the “resident” of specific addresses randomly chosen. It is up to the primary resident to fill out the form, supply his or her full name, and the full names of each household member. Other information that must be supplied for each person includes gender, marital status, age, birthdate, and the relationship of one resident to another. Questions also delve into the specific race of each individual, language spoken, education level, citizenship and ancestry. The physical, emotional and mental state of each resident is also to be supplied, including certain medical conditions.

The ACS also requires employment addresses, the time each resident leaves for work, and when he or she arrives home. If the resident doesn’t work, the ACS asks if the person could have worked if offered a job, and other related questions. Self-employment, all income sources, and the total income earned over the previous year for each resident is also required.

The ACS also asks how many children each resident has given birth to, if any, or if any residents are currently pregnant. Military service and retirement questions are also covered in the ACS.

A series of inquiries are dedicated to the residence itself, including when it was built, how much land it occupies, how many rooms it has, number of bathrooms, type of plumbing, and market worth. The ACS also wants to know the cost of monthly utility bills, mortgage or rent, and the dates each resident moved in.

The Census Bureau maintains answers to all ACS questions are held in the strictest confidence, and that the information will help city planning efforts. In terms of commerce, business owners can use the ACS data base to see whether their services or products would benefit a particular geographic area. For example, Wal-Mart might decide to put an outlet in your neighborhood based on information provided by the ACS data base.

The Census Bureau emphasizes that all questions must be answered. The ACS envelope arrives with a warning that a response is required by law. The form threatens a $100 fine for every question that goes unanswered, and a $500 fine for every question answered untruthfully.

While big business no doubt benefits from having as much information about citizens as possible, many citizens are unwilling to give away their right to privacy. Hence, many are refusing to return the ACS. This automatically results in an additional ACS form being sent, followed by a series of phone calls. In 21% of the cases, an unannounced, personal visit from a Census Bureau representative follows in a final attempt to get the ACS completed. Often more than one visit takes place.

In the end, however, the Census Bureau has no authority to enforce the laws that require the ACS be answered. The Census Bureau can press formal charges for non-compliance, but this is somewhat impractical given the number of ACS forms that are not returned, or returned incomplete. A lawsuit would likely draw media attention and a public outcry that would very probably bring an end to the ACS, or end mandatory compliance. As of early 2007, no legal action has been taken against anyone for refusing to answer the ACS.
Holy crap, that is invasive. Fuck 'em. I wouldn't answer that shit, either.
MinGator

Post by MinGator »

Agree with Doc. Fuck that shit. I'd take my chances.
Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Medical information? Seriously? No FUCKING way would I supply that stuff.

Love this part...

"A lawsuit would likely draw media attention and a public outcry that would very probably bring an end to the ACS, or end mandatory compliance."

Ya think? I'm thinking about calling my local news station right now and telling them about this...HUGE invasion of privacy.
Okay, let's try this!

G8RKyle

Post by G8RKyle »

Thanks for that article Doc. That last sentence eases my mind, but my blood is still pumping hot upon reading it.