Sorry guys, I'm leaving the BA for good...

We are often imitated, but never duplicated. If you are looking to have fun and relax this is the place for you. Cuttlefish from all walks of life retreat here for tales and buttplugs. Gator or not you are welcome here if you want to have fun, relax and earn MASSIVE REP STARS!!1! Step right on in, folks, and savor the circlejerk.
texgator

Post by texgator »

to start my own Filk band. I won't have time for you anymore as I will be composing songs for my band. We will have a special emphasis on Deep Space Nine, as all true filk bards do, but we won't be above dabbling in the works of Herbert and Heinlen. In fact, my latest piece, 'Muad'dib is my Homeboy' is doing very well at the conventions.

Filk you say? You don't follow Filk?

Here's a nice little piece in tribute of Gene Wolfe's 'Urth of the New Sun' series, about Severian...yet there are a few incongruities. But..it gives you a nice little idea what Filk can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqY0dCmAyNM#
As Debbie Ridpath Ohi's compilation What Is Filk?[1]and the Interfilk What Is Filk page[2] each demonstrate, there is no consensus definition of filk, though one could divide the different proposed definitions by their focus on the content and style of filk music or the cultural aspects of filking as an activity.[original research?]

One definition is based on filk as a genre: filk is folk music, usually with a science fiction or fantasy theme. But this definition is not exact. Filkers have been known to write filk songs about a variety of topics, including but not limited to tangentially-related topics such as computers and cats. The other common definition is anthropological: filk is what is sung or performed by the network of people who originally gathered to sing at science fiction/fantasy conventions. Yet another definition focuses on filking as a community of those interested in filk music and who form part of the social network self-identified with filking. As described later in this article, the origins of filk in science fiction conventions and its current organization emphasizes the social-network aspect of filking.

Whichever definition one chooses, filk is a form of music created from within science fiction and fantasy fandom, often performed late at night at science fiction conventions, though there are now dedicated filk conventions in Canada, England, Germany, and the USA. And whichever definition one chooses, the boundaries of filking are muddy. For example, filking overlaps with the singing and music performed by participants in the Society for Creative Anachronism or at LARPs.
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

Late to the party, of course...over a year ago I was turned on to the wonders of *pure* filk, which has three critical components not widely understood by non-filkers.
1) Ohio is a hot bed of Filk.
2) The Ohio filkers sing about LOLCats.
3) Filkers also tend to play MMOPRGs.
Star Kings Forever!
texgator

Post by texgator »

Of course, MMORPG filk has a place, but the only true filk has it's basis in future technology. Now, if you were basing an album on say, WarHammer, you'd be ok, because that's a future genre and well within the encompassing arms of filk. WoW, however, is fantasy and therefore is basically a sideshow.

True filk uses Spock as its muse, bitch.
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

Hmph. Well, based on your ham handed reference to Paul Atreides, I can only assume that Cat Stevens is a fraud, not visionary, because if he had the balls to use the proper term "Usol" instead of the gay "Moonshadow", his song would have rocked more and been less lovey.
Also, I think that Boston's "Cool the Engines" marginally qualifies as Filk because the government STILL refuses to build those awesome city spaceships.
Star Kings Forever!
radbag

Post by radbag »

good luck tex.
texgator

Post by texgator »

Dude, I so would do Jessica. Think Mrs. Tex would wear a crysknife and recite the 'Litany against Fear' for me?
texgator

Post by texgator »

Hmph. Well, based on your ham handed reference to Paul Atreides, I can only assume that Cat Stevens is a fraud, not visionary, because if he had the balls to use the proper term "Usol" instead of the gay "Moonshadow", his song would have rocked more and been less lovey.
Also, I think that Boston's "Cool the Engines" marginally qualifies as Filk because the government STILL refuses to build those awesome city spaceships.
Umm, it's 'Usul' sir....awkward.
texgator

Post by texgator »

Oh and 'bluegrassg8r' if that is your real name, true Fremen do not utter the sietch name of their Naib in front of the uninitiated. I'm pretty sure this 'radbag' might be Sardaukar.
annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

I've typed 3 responses to this thread and preemptively censored them all. All I can say is: That's nice.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

Post by radbag »

so when are you leaving officially?
texgator

Post by texgator »

Just as soon as we are picked up by a major label.
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

Since we're nitpicking, I'm pretty certain she would wish to be addressed as "Lady Jessica, Consort of Duke Leto".
Also, with hair or without?
Star Kings Forever!
texgator

Post by texgator »

Without, definitely.
texgator

Post by texgator »

I'm so happy to have a 'Dune' discussion! I wonder if we should make a sub-forum?
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

Rookie. If you were Dunecore you would've said "Hairless. Poison needle on her thumb. Tears of blood. Redolent of Spice. And anal."
Star Kings Forever!
texgator

Post by texgator »

I just spit coffee everywhere. Fucker.
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

Was it "Dunecore"? That got you? Or maybe my WWTS bracelet...I'll see if you can figure it out. ;D
Star Kings Forever!
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

All I know is, we need more filk on this forum.

How do I, as resident goth, sell out my gothic principles and get on the filk train?
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

You can't. The Filk Train is magnetohydrodynamic, it's a wave, man. You just gotta surf it.
Star Kings Forever!
DocZaius

Post by DocZaius »

Seinfeld: The Pool Guy
Episode No. 118
Broadcast Date: November 16, 1995

[Telephone rings - Kramer pulls a cordless phone from his pocket]

KRAMER: Cosmo, go. No, no, na, na. (he pushes the end button and
pushes the antenna down) Boy this new telephone number’s driving me
crazy -- wrong numbers, every five minutes.

JERRY: What is it?

KRAMER: Well it’s 555-3455.

JERRY: 555-3455.

KRAMER: Yeah.

JERRY: (picks up the phone on the coffee table) “555-3455.” Well wait a
second, don’t you see that’s 555-FILK.

KRAMER: What’s Filk?

JERRY: Filk’s nothing, but 555-FILM is Moviefone*.

KRAMER: Oh Moviefone.

JERRY: Yes, so people are just dialing it by mistake and getting you.

KRAMER: So, I’m Filk?

JERRY: You’re Filk.

KRAMER: Oh, Mama.
texgator

Post by texgator »

Was it "Dunecore"? That got you? Or maybe my WWTS bracelet...I'll see if you can figure it out. ;D
What Would Thufir Say?
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

Close, but more artsy:
"What Would Toto Sing"?
Star Kings Forever!
radbag

Post by radbag »

my dad belongs to netflix
mommygator

Post by mommygator »

methinks rad more closely resembles fawn harkonnen than the kwisatz haderach.
bluegrassg8r

Post by bluegrassg8r »

OH SNAP. Dunedissed!
Star Kings Forever!