The Obama Letdown

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
annarborgator

The Obama Letdown

Post by annarborgator »

Reality had to raise its ugly head. Barack Obama was elected with overwhelming approval to inaugurate an era of change. And at his November 25 press conference, he said that his decisive victory gave him a mandate to change the direction in which America is moving. But his recent economic and foreign policy appointments make it clear that when he chose “change” as his campaign slogan, he was NOT referring to the financial, insurance and real estate (FIRE) sectors, nor to foreign policy. These are where the vested interests concentrate their wealth and power. And change already has been accelerating here. Unfortunately, its direction has been for the top 1% of America’s population to raise their share of in the returns to wealth from 37% ten years ago to 57% five years ago and an estimated nearly 70% today.

The change that Mr. Obama is talking about is largely marginal to this wealth, not touching its economic substance – or its direction. No doubt he will bring about a welcome change in race relations, environmental regulations, and a more civil rule of law. And he probably will give wage earners an income-tax break (thereby enabling them to keep on paying their bank debts, incidentally). As for the rich, they prefer not to earn income in the first place. Taxes need to be paid on income, so they take their returns in the form of capital gains. And simply avoiding losses is the order of the day in the present meltdown.
continued at: http://www.counterpunch.org/hudson11262008.html
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
radbag

The Obama Letdown

Post by radbag »

The moral is, next time a candidate promises change, ask him to say just what changes he has in mind. During the Presidential debates, only Dennis Kucinich came out and said each specific law that he had put before Congress to implement each change he promised. But most of the public didn’t want to know the details – they simply liked hearing the word “change.”
the 'change' mantra was successful for PE obama...for those in elections past who were previously not interested in voting, it helped them get out TO vote.
G8rMom7

The Obama Letdown

Post by G8rMom7 »

I was one who was a bit concerned about the type of change he was talking about...I'm still concerned but it seems he is more pragmatic and I think that may be a good thing.
Okay, let's try this!

Toothy

The Obama Letdown

Post by Toothy »

What did y'all expect -- women wearing burkas?