Good NYT read on California Prop 8

Stick all your provocative and controversial topics here. Then stick them up your ass, you fascist Nazi!
Toothy

Post by Toothy »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/opinion/07flanagan.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
THE attitude of white, liberal Hollywood toward African- American churches has long been one of almost participatory respect. Whether it’s Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues on Sunset Boulevard, or the Blind Boys of Alabama on the iPod, or a serious — reverential — mention of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference over dinner, the understanding is clear: the black church is a foundational institution in the history of the civil rights struggle, and its music (although it makes reference to Jesus Christ as a personal savior) is smoking hot.

It was only recently that the A-list discovered that this love is unrequited. Last month, Proposition 8 passed, making gay marriage illegal in California, and the demographic that lent insult to injury was the state’s African-American voters.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

Yeah, that was probably the most interesting part of this years elections. Same thing happened in Florida. Black voters that vote democrat but are god fearing Christians surprisingly don't like gays having rights just like the right wing white Christians. Had Clinton won the democratic party nomination it probably would have passed.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.
radbag

Post by radbag »

bittersweet.
G8rMom7

Post by G8rMom7 »

Yeah, that was probably the most interesting part of this years elections. Same thing happened in Florida. Black voters that vote democrat but are god fearing Christians surprisingly don't like gays having rights just like the right wing white Christians. Had Clinton won the democratic party nomination it probably would have passed.
Todd, I don't understand what you mean that if Clinton would have been the Dem...oh wait, I just got it...less Blacks would have voted all together is what you are saying...never mind, move along.
Okay, let's try this!

annarborgator

Post by annarborgator »

The government shouldn't be in the business of officially recognizing anyone's marriage.
I've never met a retarded person who wasn't smiling.
TheTodd

Post by TheTodd »

exactly Alli...probably not the most PC thing I've ever said but it's probably true.

And I agree 1000% AA. Hell, just from a fiscal standpoint it means more taxes paid because more people are getting married.
“The Knave abideth.” I dare speak not for thee, but this maketh me to be of good comfort; I deem it well that he be out there, the Knave, being of good ease for we sinners.